It may still be spring but it feels like summer and the summer 2018 program & events guides are here with 75 free, fun programs happening at WPL for kids, teens and adults.
Kids & Families
Whether it's using the power of code to make games, family yoga at Waterloo Park, taking part in creative iPadography challenges, or perfecting your wilderness camping skills, we have the program for you. Our Maker Bike will be out and about, and we'll be back at Lion's Lagoon in Waterloo Park in July and August. We have drop-in and pre-registered programs. Click here to view the children's guide online or pick up a copy at your favourite WPL location.
Summer Reading Club for Kids
Over 2000 kids take part in our Summer Reading Club every year. Sign up, read, visit the library, play games, and you will have a chance to win some awesome prizes. Participants who check in 7 or more times this summer will receive a family invitation to participate in a special VIP celebration with live entertainment, prizes and treats. Our early bird kickoff starts June 16. The Summer Reading Club runs from June 29 to August 18. Details will be posted soon at wpl.ca
Planned for those in grades 7 and up, we have Fandom Frenzy celebrating Harry Potter, Star Wars, Dr Who and more. There's a Pun & Games Night, Surviving the End of the World, and a very cool Teen Summer Reading Challenge that includes instant-win prizes. Looking for a job? We have workshops on resumes, interview skills and community service. Details are on pages 8 & 9 of the program guide.
Our Summer Night Socials are back this year at the Main Library with a Harry Potter Gaming Party, Picnic in the Park, Hipster Hoedown, and Yoga at Waterloo Park. You can also get your maker on at WPL, trying your hand at dirty pour painting, button & bead art, and paper quilling. There's a historical walking tour in UpTown Waterloo, a mystery "crawl" and so much more. There are drop-in and registered programs. View the adult program & events guide online now or pick up a copy at your favourite WPL location.
WPL in Your Neighbourhood
- June 2 - World Refugee Day Launch Event at THEMUSEUM, 10 King St. W., Kitchener
- June 2 & 3 - Maker Expo at The Aud, 400 East Ave., Kitchener
- June 9 - City of Waterloo Service Centre Open House, 265 Lexington Court, Waterloo (10am to 2pm)
- June 17 – Open Streets, Waterloo Public Square, King Street, UpTown Waterloo
- June 23 - Laurelwood Neighbourhood Association Summer Solstice, Old Oak Park, 507 Old Oak Pl., Waterloo
- June 23 & 24 - KW Multicultural Festival, Victoria Park, Kitchener (11am to 5pm)
- July 1 - University of Waterloo Canada Day Celebration, Columbia Lake, Waterloo
- July 15 - Open Streets, Waterloo Public Square (12noon to 5pm)
- August 18 - Waterloo Gardeners' Fair : Flower & Vegetable Competition, Albert McCormick Community Centre, Waterloo
- August 19 – Kidspark, Victoria Park, Kitchener